US Names, Sanctions Russian GRU Officials for 2016 Election Hacks Treasury Department names and imposes economic sanctions on the alleged major players behind the Russian election-meddling operation, as well as the World Anti-Doping Agency breach.
Nine Russian GRU officers were sanctioned today by the US Department of Treasury for their alleged hacking and document theft of US election systems during the 2016 presidential race, as well as for hacking the World Anti-Doping Agency database. The officers also were indicted on July 13 by the US. They are:
- Aleksey Aleksandrovich Potemkin (Potemkin), who ran the computer infrastructure used by the hackers for releasing stolen documents online.
- Anatoliy Sergeyevich Kovalev (Kovalev), who in July 2016 hacked a state board of elections website and pilfered voter information, as well as hacked a US firm that provided voter registration verification software for the 2016 election.
- Viktor Borisovich Netyksho (Netyksho), a GRU unit commander.
- Boris Alekseyevich Antonov (Antonov), who managed the actors targeting the US election.
- Ivan Sergeyevich Yermakov (Yermakov), who hacked email accounts and servers related to the US election, as well as the World Anti-Doping Database in 2016.
- Aleksey Viktorovich Lukashev (Lukashev), who sent spear-phishing emails to US election campaign officials.
- Nikolay Yuryevich Kozachek (Kozachek), who wrote the malware used by the GRU used to hack into networks during the election.
- Artem Andreyevich Malyshev (Malyshev), who monitored the GRU malware and helped hack WADA's database.
- Aleksandr Vladimirovich Osadchuk (Osadchuk), a GRU commanding officer.
Read the full sanctions report here, which includes other Russian officials sanctioned for the WADA hack, the online election-influence campaign, and the March 2018 nerve agent attack on Sergei Skripal and his daughter.
Dark Reading's Quick Hits delivers a brief synopsis and summary of the significance of breaking news events. For more information from the original source of the news item, please follow the link provided in this article. View Full Bio